Friday, September 16, 2005

Linux 2.0


I keep reading articles about Linux and I really want to get into it. I just finished reading an interview with an author about issues with Linux. It was a very good interview and it made me do a little thinking.

Another article I read was about a guy who switched to Linux for 10 days and has a very good write up on the subject. He was using Mandriva and it sounded like a good place to start. So I went to Linuxiso.org and I couldn't find Mandriva. My next location was Google and it really didn't help much. I did find Mandriva after an hour or so and it was some sort of special edition 2005. I had no clue what that meant but I downloaded all three cds and did an install.

For the first time I enjoyed playing with Linux. Mandriva not only looked nice but I was actually able to install a program (which was Opera of course). I double-clicked the file I downloaded and it installed. I was so happy.

I wish I spent more time playing with the system but it was installed at work and I had work to do. My work lately has been data entry (ugh).

I eventually learned that Mandriva is Mandrake and Linuxiso.org didn't change their Mandrake section. So next time I will install the latest version. I still can't find the version in Mandriva. I bet I have to go to the command line for that (ugh). I just don't like using command lines anymore. I gave that up after I sold my Commodore 64. I went from Commodore to Mac then to Windows and don't want to look back. Besides using the terminal seems so 80's.

So if the 770 can install files just as easy I will be a happy person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



My Sites
Dry Elbow - Tech & Fun
Al Herrera - My Blog

Links
Nokia 770.com
Mike's Blog
Teleread

Archive